Link to Implementation Podcast
Student Sample of Photosynthesis Prezi
Transcript of Podcast
I learned about Prezi during CEP 810, and ever since I have been dying to try it out. I knew I had to do it sooner or later, so I took my chances with this project. The implementation of my Wicked Problem Project had a lot of surprises, unexpected bumps on the road, but also many delights. Initially I had decided to go ahead and try this out with all of my Biology classes, but at the last minute I changed my mind. I went ahead and only assigned it to one of them. It was hard to determine which class to assign it to, so I ended up choosing the one that seemed to be a bit more technology savvy. It didn’t mean that everyone would not have been capable of completing the assignment since about 80% of the students had never even heard about Prezi. I was surprised how people are more aware of web-based social media than tools that can improve their learning.
One unexpected bump on the road happened during the first day of implementation. I became frustrated because of the lack of willingness from students to learn a new tool. They were so afraid to try something new and there was so much complaining even before they had seen the demonstration I had prepared. One student even said “why do we have to learn Prezi, when we already know how to use PowerPoint”. I spent more time than I had planned on to sell them the idea that they will like working with Prezi better than PowerPoint. Finally, somehow the mood changed after my brief presentation and there were even a few oohs and aahs, and some students actually expressed excitement to start their project. This was definitely a pleasant surprise and I found my mood changing for the better. The few students who knew about Prezi were delighted to finally use their abilities with this technology.
The first day of the project included students doing some research using a search engine of their choice, classroom encyclopedias, or their Biology books. They needed to find enough sources and information about Photosynthesis to be able to understand the subject in a deeper manner and show enough comprehension through their work on their presentations. The total number of slides required were 10, including title page, various topics in Photosynthesis, a conclusion, and a work cited slide. They needed to have the information approved by me before beginning the project. I was surprised to see how quickly this was done, with the correct information of course. I felt that indeed they were surprised to see how easy and fun Prezi really is. For the first day, I had asked them to have 2 slides done in class and 1 more for homework. By the end of the second day in class, many students had exceeded my expectations, and had moved farther into the project. The final project is not due for another few days, but I am sure that every assignment turned in will be creative and unique. Although, it seems that they are enjoying the new technology, I will have to wait to measure comprehension. But if my project proves to be successful, I hope to have all misconceptions about Photosynthesis disappear. At the end I realized that giving the assignment to only one class could actually work for the better, I can use the results of the upcoming summative assessments to compare results between classes, and see if those who worked with Prezi will do better. I will keep my fingers crossed!
No comments:
Post a Comment